Monday, July 21, 2008

I'm a Grandma

I've decided to bypass children and children's children altogether and go straight to becoming a Grandma. Recently I've discovered a new hobby shared by many senior citizens. You may have seen them in your local community. They are determined, driven and early rising "mall walkers". Now I can't say that I have quite graduated to a "mall walker" but I am definitely the second cousin known as the "arena walker". I find myself growing tired of the Arizona heat, and really dislike staying in my office all day. I used to go for walks in a beautiful neighborhood near campus, but those days will not be back until November. In the meantime, I've discovered that just down campus from me is the McKale Center arena. It is the sports arena here at the University of Arizona. I walked there for lunch today and was immediately drawn to it by the high powered air-conditioning. I looked around and sure enough, I saw business dress with tennis shoes doing laps around the 2nd floor walkway. I of course only had flip-flops on but I was down. You can imagine how my confidence rose as people I passed commented on my speediness. "Look out for Speedy" and "Hey, I commend you, you've already lapped me twice." I have no shame in admitting that I will now spend my lunches doing laps with the elderly. It is better then sitting all day long and is a good break in the day. Who knows, maybe there is more to Thelma then we think.

8 comments:

Natalie Jane said...

Now you can admit that you wear depends and not be ashamed.

April said...

...and now you can wear your fanny pack again...

actually this is what I loved about Ricks...was my long walks around the track and getting those endearing smiles from the old folks...but usually I listened to music so I could avoid those "I'm so lonely" conversations...that is mean hunh? No I love the elderly and Thelma probably has so many great stories.

Kara said...

Just move to San Diego so you can go on walks outside :)
I like your new picture up top. Cute! We found Greg's polo shirt. Tell him he needs to gain some weight. Or maybe I should just loose some. j/k Don't worry, I didn't try it on. We're holding it hostage until you two come visit.
Okay, maybe we'll just mail it back to you.

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious, I didn't know that was an elderly hang out during the day. The other good thing is that they'll always make you feel great about yourself since you'll be lapping them over and over. Great confidence booster! :)

Kara said...

I would actually do the same thing. Although, I would usually look to see if your car was in your parking spot :)
The place is slowly getting organized. I haven't taken any pictures yet. I will once the boxes are all gone.

Kalli said...

hey I think it is great you are actually proactive during your lunch... way to break the "fat american" stereo-type!!! Me on the other hand I just embraced the stereo-type and went to Wendy's for my lunch wow and to think I tried to blame my weight gain on the baby!!

Angie Nickle said...

jealousy is what i'm feeling. I so wish there were something like that near my apts! It's so hot outside I usually only exercise to the mailbox. Now if you really want to make me jealous, you'll start water aerobics-dont forget the swim cap!Always a pleasure reading your blog Emily!
-angie nickle

Erin Tarwater said...

hey emily,

amber and i had to sneak out early because we are grandmas who have to go to bed at 8:30. here's my email...erinmac2@yahoo.com. That way I can email you about the scholarship stuff, and send you an invite to my blog....Thanks!!